The What & Why:
There is a critical disconnect between the STEM skills needed to support the state’s current and future jobs ecosystem and our students’ interests and levels of mastery in those fields. By bringing together businesses leaders and educators from across North Carolina in a hands-on learning environment, GSK, NCBCE & Kenan Fellows have designed a STEM conference that will enable 115 of the state’s leading educators to connect their classroom environments to career environments.
Teachers will interact side by side with business leaders in STEM fields. They will participate in learning labs and work-based learning activities that can be replicated in classroom environments. And perhaps most importantly, the conference will equip educators with the resources they need to help students navigate various career pathways that lead
The When & Where: March 8, 2018 | GSK Headquarters
- Participation is based on nominations from local superintendents. We have asked superintendents across the state’s 115 local education authorities to nominate one middle school teacher from their school district.
- We are looking for “teacher leaders,” men and women who can take what they learn through this experience and share it with others after the fact.
- The participant package includes: $50 stipend to cover cost of travel, one-night hotel (Thursday night) for those traveling 50+ miles or more, breakfast and lunch the day of the conference.
If you have received a nomination from your superintendent, please use the following link to register for the conference. Make sure to select the ticket that corresponds with your respective LEA.
Registration (Invitation Only): https://www.eventbrite.com/e/empowering-stem-a-classroom-to-career-teacher-conference-tickets-37538029256
The Plan (still being finalized):
- Welcome Breakfast
- STEM Talks
- Speaker 1: Educator
- Speaker 2: Student
- Speaker 3: Business Innovator
- Learning Lab Breakout 1
- Learning Lab Breakout 2
- Lunch & Speakers
- Learning Lab Breakout 3
- Learning Lab Breakout 4
- Hiring Profiles and Closing Remarks